Access to Insurers who cover Non-Standard Properties

Access to Insurers who have 5 Star Defaqto rated Policies

Request a Call Back...

By completing this form you are giving consent to be contacted to discuss your
mortgage/insurance needs. See Privacy Notice for details on how we hold/store data.

Finance Surgery specialise in finding the right deal for you on your buildings & contents insurance. Get in touch to speak to a specialist advisor today.

Find a Buildings & Contents Insurance Deal You Can Trust

Finance Surgery specialise in finding the best deal for you on your buildings & contents insurance. Get in touch to speak to a specialist advisor today.

Find the Best Deal on Your Buildings & Contents Insurance

Find the Best Deal on Your Buildings & Contents Insurance

Whatever your individual requirements we have a team of experienced buildings & contents  specialists that are on hand to help and support you.

By analysing your financial status and situation and by comparing a vast range of insurance figures daily, Finance Surgery are able to match you up with an extremely competitive and robust selection of insurance offerings. To save time, expense and for piece of mind that you are presented with most suitable, most competitive insurance products.

We are happy to help and discuss your needs

We are great listeners who will never judge your situation

We provide sound advice and research

We will support and help you all the way

Products and Services

Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

What is Buildings and Contents Insurance?

Buildings insurance, often a condition of mortgage acceptance, covers the external structure of the property and relates to the bricks and mortar of the building.

If the property were to be damaged by a disaster such as a flood or fire, this type of policy would cover the rebuilding costs, costs of demolition, site clearance and architects’ fees. Buildings insurance also protects fixtures and fittings throughout the home.

It’s no surprise that when all items within a home are added up, their total worth would be rather significant. Contents insurance is a particularly useful type of cover that protects those items your client has collected over the years, including but not limited to sofas, beds, televisions and sound systems.

Contents Insurance usually covers water leakages, storms, flooding, fires, explosions, lightning, and earthquakes.

Speak To a Finance Advisor Today

By completing this form you are giving consent to be contacted to discuss your mortgage/insurance needs. See Privacy Notice for details on how we hold/store data.

Some Frequently Asked Questions…

1. Should I insure my building’s structure for the market value or rebuilding cost?

You should always insure your home for the cost of rebuilding it. The rebuilding cost will be different to the market value. The rebuilding cost does not allow for the value of the site the property is built on, because this is not insured.

However, it does need to allow for rebuilding your home in its current form, including the cost of clearing the site and professional fees. The rebuilding cost could be higher than the market value (for example, if the property is built from stone which is no longer available locally or if it includes period or special architectural features). The rebuilding cost could also be lower than the market value.

Some policies now offer cover based on an overall limit for the rebuilding cost (for example, for a property with no more than five bedrooms, they may set a limit for a maximum rebuild cost of £400,000 or £500,000).

As long as you are confident that this is enough to rebuild your home and cover the costs of clearing the site and professional fees, there is no need to work out a more accurate rebuilding cost. However, policies like this are unlikely to be suitable for flats or homes that are not of a standard build (for example, listed buildings or properties built from unusual building materials).

2. How can I work out the rebuilding cost of my home?

You can ask a qualified surveyor to work out the cost of rebuilding your home. There is also a calculator on our website ( which may help you decide how much
you should insure your home for. This may not be suitable if your home has special design features or is not of standard build. Do not forget to regularly check that your sum insured is high enough as rebuilding costs are likely to go up over time.

3. Do I need to tell my insurer if I have major building work done, such as an extension?

Yes. It is important that you change the amount of your cover to reflect any increase in the rebuilding cost of your home before any work is carried out.

It is also important that you tell your insurer about any work that is being carried out that could increase the risk of damage to your home or its contents – for example if you are having an extension built, your home is being significantly refurbished or your home will be empty for any long period of time.

In some cases you may need to take out extra insurance, jointly in your name and the name of your contractor, to cover the building work while it is being carried out. It isn’t necessary to tell your insurer about work inside the property such as decorating or replacing fitted units (for example, if you have a new bathroom or kitchen fitted).

However, if this will affect the rebuilding cost of your home, you need to give them the new figure.

4. How do insurers define ‘storm’ and how do they decide if a storm has caused the damage to my home?

A storm is not just a period of bad weather, it is a period of violent weather, involving rain, hail, wind, snow, lightning or any combination of these. It can last for a short or a long time, and can affect a large or a small area, but in all cases it refers to a period of violent weather that is likely to cause damage to property. A period of bad weather which would not be expected to cause damage to a well-maintained property is not a storm.

Insurers will take account of a number of factors when considering whether or not damage has been caused by a storm (for example, whether or not the wind speed in that particular area at the time was strong enough to cause damage to property).

5. Will insurance cover damage that is caused when things wear out?

Home insurance policies will not cover wear and tear. They are meant to cover damage caused by sudden and unexpected events, not things wearing out, breaking down or failing because they have not been maintained properly. It is important that you look after your home and possessions and maintain the property well as home insurance is not a substitute for proper maintenance.